Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Making friends up and down the hall

Ok, so here is the thought of the day. How do you make friends up and down the hall of an office. I have to say that I love my job, I also really like the people that I work with, but I am really lonely. I am surrounded by super nice people, whom I have known for 2 months now and really don't feel a strong friendship with any of them.

True I work mainly with introverts, when I am an extrovert. So my overly excited invites for coffee or my constant attempt at starting conversations tend to scare people off than build friendships.

My office is also all the way in the corner of the church, not near most of the of the other offices, so distance can play into the problem a bit.

We are all rather busy here at the church, which does not allow for tons of social time, so that plays into the situation a bit as well.

And I'm the new one, and they are not, so they already have social groups within the office and the church, when I just don't.

So, does my lack of office friendship affect my work? No, the opposite actually. I am very productive sitting all alone in my quiet lonely area. Does it affect the way I view my job? No, I still very much love my job and the people I work with. So what does it affect? Why do work friendships matter? I'm not sure. It affects my mood. But a mood can be changed, controlled and managed.

I will not let this affect my job or my feelings toward my job.

But if anyone has any tried and true ideas on making friends as an adult, or being an extrovert in an introvert's world. Let me know.

2 comments:

Laura said...

*hug* Keep inviting them for coffee and bake them cookies :)

kp said...

Thanks Laura! I haven't done too much baking yet. Once I have my own kitchen, watch out waist-lines, Kathy's back!